Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Little ray of sunshine

Read The Punisher: The Slavers the other day. 'Nam vet and full-time vigilante Frank Castle takes on a group of East European slave traders. Shootouts and graphic torture ensue. Not to mention rape, racism, homophobia, murdered babies, police corruption, as well as the failure of either liberalism or hardcore vigilantism to solve the problem of the sex trade. Bleakest thing I've read in a long time.

Worryingly, it actually cheered me up. Goes to show how much I'm enjoying Christmas this year.

2 comments:

strantzas said...

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but have you read the Steven Grant PUNISHER books? The mini-series, sure, but more importantly "The Return to Big Nothing"?

For my money, the only Punisher is the Grant/Zeck Punisher. No one else comes close.

Stuart Young said...

And I'm even later with my reply ...

I've read Circle of Blood -- loved the first two chapters -- but not Return to Big Nothing.

Apparently Grant can't read anyone else's work on The Punisher as he has such a strong opinion about the ryhthm of the Punisher's dialogue that he can't bring himself to read anyone writing the character's speech patterns differently.